Bike dog baskets are a popular, safe, and affordable way to bring your pup along on bike rides. With so many options on the market today, what should you know before buying one? We are here to help! We will discuss the features you should look for and the advantages and disadvantages of popular bike baskets, including our top pick, the PetSafe Tagalong Wicker Basket.
What Does My Bike Dog Basket Need?
Bike dog baskets have become increasingly popular as cost-efficient ways to spend quality outdoor time with our dogs. Due to their immense demand, there are so many products out there that it can be overwhelming. These baskets often come with a number of positive options and features, but which ones are a must? We are going to dig into this below and talk about the important features you should look for in a bike dog basket and other options that you might find worthwhile.
We all love 2-in-1 products. They make our lives easier and help us speed things along during our daily routines. Multi-functional bike dog baskets are great if you want to get the most use out of your purchase. Bike dog baskets can be designed to unhook from your bike and become portable dog carriers, in case you decide to make a pitstop on your ride. They can also be designed to act as car seats for your dog, which I think we can all agree is pretty handy. Many larger dog baskets can even be used as dog beds. The possibilities are endless!
Position On Bike
There are two places that a bike dog basket can be designed to attach. Some can be attached to the handlebars while others on the back rack of the bicycle. There are even some models that are designed to be secured at either location. The choice of front positioning versus back positioning is determined mostly by your preference and your dog’s size and temperament.
If you like to keep an eye on your dog and your dog is a little on the overzealous side, you may want to pick a basket that is designed for the handlebars. That way, you’ll be able to watch your pup at all times and your dog can get a great view.
However, maybe your dog is on the larger side and has a calm obedient disposition. To keep your pup from blocking your view, you can use a basket designed for the back rack. Your dog will still have a great ride, see all the sights, and enjoy feeling the ears in the breeze.
Security and Safety Features
Safety should always be your top priority when purchasing an item for your dog. Bike dog baskets should be designed with leash hookups inside the basket. Leashed hookups will keep your pup securely inside the basket in case you hit a bump or your dog decides he’s tired of riding and wants to jump out.
The basket should also be designed to attach securely to your bicycle. Most baskets will have multiple straps so you can make sure it’s latched on tight. A stability bar is designed into some models to keep your pup secure inside the basket. Other safety features might include mesh tops or domes to keep your pup from leaping out and rain covers or protective tops in case mother nature decides to shake things up a bit.
All of our dogs want to be good boys and girls, but sometimes the call of the wild can be tempting, so make sure your bike dog basket is designed for security and safety.
Pockets and Storage
There are a number of bike dog baskets that are designed with additional pockets and storage compartments. If you like to spend hours riding your bicycle, then you may want to choose a basket that has extra storage. This will give you the option to take necessities for your long ride, such as water, dog treats and toys, leashes, and whatever else you may like to carry with you.
If you prefer taking short brisk rides, then having extra pockets or compartments for storage may not be an option you’re interested in. Most baskets come with at least one or two pockets for small items. Sometimes less is more! No matter what your lifestyle, you’ll be able to find a basket that fits your preferences.
We recommend choosing a bike dog basket that includes some type of reflective material so you and your pup will be easy to spot. Many bicyclists can attest to experiencing probably at least one scary incident with a moving vehicle. We deal with so many distractions in our daily lives while at the wheel of a car, so making sure you’re highly visible is extremely important.
Most bike dog baskets include reflective strips along the sides or have bright neon colors as part of the exterior design. If you find a basket that you really love that does not include reflective materials, make sure you attach a light or other type of reflective object to make sure you and your pup are safe on your bike rides.
Before continuing on to our recommendations, take a moment to watch this super cool pooch kicked back in a bike dog basket and enjoying the ride.
Our Top Five Picks
The PetSafe Tagalong Wicker Basket is our favorite because it’s affordable, securely made, and will make your pup feel like royalty. Get excited small dog owners because it has a carrying capacity up to 13 pounds. This is definitely the most stylish basket on our list because of its old-fashioned look and appeal. It is designed with a bracket system for convenience and 3-points of adjustment so you can secure it to most bicycle models. It’s also designed with a removable safety leash so you click it onto your dog’s harness.
- Efficient mounting system
- Leash attachment for safety
- Affordably priced
- Old-fashion design
- Several areas for adjustment to make sure you are able to secure it to any model bicycle
- Designed for small dogs
- Crafted for exceptional comfort
- Breathable construction to keep your dog from overheating
- Removal faux-sheepskin liner that is machine washable
- Removal sunshade to block the sun
- Does not have any storage compartments or pockets
- Some dog owners complained that they had to get creative with securing the basket to their bicycle
- Not suitable for heavier dogs
If you have a larger dog, don’t worry, there’s an option for you too! The Snoozer Rider Rear Bicycle Seat is a great option for pet owners who prefer that their pup ride on the back of their bicycle. It is designed with a plywood reinforced base for added durability and sturdiness. It can carry up to 24 pounds so your bigger dog can hang out with all the tiny dogs in the bike lane. It’s exterior is black with a thin orange reflective strip. The inner lining of the basket is soft to make sure your pup gets to ride in comfort. Even better, it can be used as a dog bed because of its large size.
- Large size and able to carry up to 24 pounds
- Orange reflective strips for higher visibility at night
- Reinforced plywood base for added durability and stability
- Fuzzy soft interior for your dog’s comfort
- Stylish black quilted exterior
- Can be used as a dog bed
- Three-point restraint system to keep your dog secured
- Detachable cover
- Cover is machine washable
- Comes with a one year limited warranty
- Can only be mounted on the rear of the bike
- May be too large for smaller dogs
- Only one color option
- Instructions are not detailed
- A few dog owners complained that the safety straps were too tight
Yes, you read that right. The Jack and Dixie Traveler 2-in-1 Bike Basket is both a bike basket and a portable carrier. It is secured to the handlebars with two clip straps and can support dogs up to 15 pounds. It has two compartments for small items like toys, treats, and leashes and has a side pocket to hold a water bottle. It is designed with an adjustable safety leash to keep your pup securely inside and also has an adjustable shoulder strap for when you decide to convert it to a carrier.
- Affordably priced
- Can be converted to a portable carrier
- Adjustable shoulder strap
- Has an adjustable safety leash for security
- Easy to secure with two clip straps
- Carrying capacity up to 15 pounds
- Pockets and compartments for storage of small items
- Easy to assemble
- Cushioned inner bottom pad
- Does not include a cover
- A few dog owners complained that the basket wobbled slightly on the handlebars
- Only one color option
- Some dog owners complained that the basket was not very wide
Petsfit is a company with a great reputation for making high-quality products, and their Safety Dog Bike Basket is definitely in the running for the most exceptional. It’s a great size and lightweight so you won’t struggle with your handlebars while riding. It’s affordably priced and is made of durable Oxford cloth material that both feels great and feels strong. For added storage, there are several mesh pockets and a top mesh cover that can be zipped up if you start to feel some rain. It’s functional and can be converted to a lightweight carrier. It’s an all-around well-designed basket.
- Small size
- Machine-washable inner pad
- Affordably priced
- Can be converted to a carrier for added functionality
- Several mesh storage pockets
- Top mesh cover with option to zip shut in case of inclement weather
- Comfortable inner pad
- Inner leash clip for safety
- Steel frame for security and stability
- Drawstring mesh to make sure your pup doesn’t slip out
- Top mesh designed for better airflow and comfort
- High visibility strips to make sure you’re noticed in dim lighting
- Inner pad is plush on one side for colder temperatures and nylon on the flip side for warmer days
- Instructions are difficult to follow
- Only one color option
- Some dog owners complained that the basket was not able to handle dogs over 10 pounds
- TOO LARGE for your dog? A smaller Pet-Pilot model is also available! Please contact us if you are...
- MEASUREMENTS: Outside measures 16"x 13.5" - Outside height is 9.5" | Padded floor measures 13" x...
- SAFETY: 2-point, chrome clasp, safety leash attaches to dogs harness (harness not included)
The Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot MAX Dog Bicycle Basket has a number of great features that make it one of our favorites. It includes several color options, which is a rarity in the bike basket world. It has a strong steel frame and a durable mounting system to keep your pup safely secured. The locking handlebar design is another great added security feature. The exterior mesh material is breathable and your pup will love it on hot days outside. It has a carrying capacity up to 20 pounds and easy to install and remove. It’s has reflective sides for those dark bike rides and several compartments to store small necessities.
- Mesh exterior for cool ventilation
- Easy to install and remove
- Reflective sides for greater visibility
- Sturdy design for stable rides
- Five color options
- Includes an inner leash attachment for safety
- Inside of the basket is lined with soft padded material for comfort
- Several pouches for storage of small items
- Easy and clear instructions
- Is roomy and gives your pup plenty of sitting space
- Some dog owners complained that it did not have a metal bar beneath the basket for extra stability and security like some other models
- A little higher priced than other models
- A few dog owners complained that the basket was heavy though this was not a common complaint
Who knew that dog’s riding in cute bike baskets wouldn’t be just for the movies. Bike dog baskets are a great and safe way to spend quality time with your dog while doing something you enjoy. Bike baskets are affordable and come in many sizes, colors, and styles. Our top pick, the Petsafe Tagalong Wicker Basket, is a great option for those who want an affordable, safe, and comfortable product, but also really care about style. Its old-fashioned appeal and aesthetics make it immensely popular among dog owners worldwide. The inside of the basket is entirely lined with faux-sheepskin for exceptional comfort. It also has a removable stylish canopy to block the sun. It’s bracket system and 3-points of adjustment makes it easy to install and keep it securely in place for those long rides.
You may decide after reviewing our top picks that none of these products fit your lifestyle or preferences. You know yourself and your dog best and we are just happy to help! No matter what bike dog basket you decide to purchase, make sure it lines up with the features we discussed earlier. Security should be one of your top priorities when searching online or in stores, because nothing will scare you or your dog more than the basket falling off the handlebars in the middle of a ride. Choose a basket with a sturdy frame and safety leash for optimal safety. We also recommend that you consider picking a bike basket with a reflective design and one that has your dog’s comfort in mind.
We hope this article has been helpful. Nothing makes us happier than sharing information that will help you and your dog spend more time together. No matter what bike basket you choose, we hope it makes your bike riding time fun and enjoyable for both you and your pup.
Last update on 2019-11-05 at 12:29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API